Three Random House authors have been included in the longlist for the Desmond Elliott Prize; SJ Watson (Before I Go To Sleep) and Rachel Joyce (The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry), along with Vintage author Grace McCleen (The Land of Decoration).
2012 marks the fifth anniversary of the £10,000 award for a first novel published in the UK, set up in memory of the celebrated publisher and literary agent Desmond Elliott to 'enrich the careers of new writers'. The criteria of the Prize require longlisted novels to display confident and compelling narratives and feature original and arresting characters.
This year's panel of judges is chaired by author Sam Llewellyn. He is joined by Tom Gatti, Deputy Editor of The Times Review section and Caroline Mileham, Head of Books at Play.com. A shortlist of three books will be announced in May, followed by a winner announcement on Thursday 28 June at Fortnum & Mason, London.
The full longlist:
- Absolution by Patrick Flanery
- Bed by David Whitehouse
- Before I Go To Sleep by S.J. Watson
- The Bellwether Revivals by Benjamin Wood
- Care Of Wooden Floors by Will Wiles
- The Land Of Decoration by Grace McCleen
- The Last Hundred Daysby Patrick McGuinness
- The Missing Shade of Blueby Jennie Erdal
- The Spider King's Daughterby Chibundu Onuzo
- The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce
For more information visit: www.desmondelliottprize.org