This year's Waterstones 11, the major initiative created to uncover the best in debut fiction from around the world, is dominated by female talent, including three Random House Group authors.
Announced on Thursday at Waterstones' flagship store, the list is seen as an indicator of potential prize contenders and those expected to go on to achieve critical and commercial success. On the list are Cornerstone author Jenni Fagan, Transworld author Rachel Joyce and Vintage author Grace McCleen.
The list in full (in alphabetical order):
- 1. The Panopticon by Jenni Fagan (William Heinemann)
- 2. Absolution by Patrick Flanery (Atlantic)
- 3. Shelter by Frances Greenslade (Virago)
- 4. The Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach (Fourth Estate)
- 5. The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey (Headline Review)
- 6. The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce (Doubleday)
- 7. The Land of Decoration by Grace McCleen (Chatto & Windus)
- 8. Signs of Life by Anna Raverat (Picador)
- 9. The Lifeboat by Charlotte Rogan (Virago)
- 10. The Age of Miracles by Karen Thompson Walker (Simon & Schuster)
- 11. Care of Wooden Floors by Will Wiles (Harper Press)
Waterstones' Managing Director, James Daunt, said:
"There is a singular excitement to the discovery of a new writer of rare talent. For us booksellers, the process of introducing and guiding readers to the very best new work is one of the most important roles we perform. This year's 11 are once again a marvellous selection. It is hard to believe these are debut novels, so assured and alive the writing."