* The benefits of living in a digital, globalised society are enormous; so too are the dangers.
* The world has become a law enforcer's nightmare and every criminal's dream. We bank online, shop online, date, learn, work and live online. But have the institutions that keep us safe on the streets learned to protect us in the burgeoning digital world? Have we become complacent about our personal security - sharing our thoughts, beliefs and the details of our daily lives with anyone who cares to relieve us of them?
* In this fascinating and compelling book, Misha Glenny, author of the international bestseller McMafia, explores the three fundamental threats facing us in the 21st century: cyber crime, cyber warfare and cyber industrial espionage. Governments and the private sector are losing billions of dollars each year, fighting an ever-morphing, often invisible, often super-smart new breed of criminal: the hacker.
* Glenny has travelled and trawled the world. And by exploring the rise and fall of the criminal website, DarkMarket, he has uncovered the most vivid, alarming and illuminating stories. Whether JiLsi or Matrix, Iceman, Master Splynter or Lord Cyric; whether Detective Sergeant Chris Dawson in Scunthorpe or Agent Keith Mularski in Pittsburgh, Glenny has tracked down and interviewed all the players - the criminals, the geeks, the police, the security experts and the victims - and he places everyone and everything in a rich brew of politics, economics and history.
* The result is simply unputdownable.DarkMarket is authoritative and completely engrossing. It's a must-read for everyone who uses a computer: the essential crime book for our times.
Recommend this book
Add your recommendation
Only registered users can recommend books. Please use the buttons below to either create a new account, or sign-in to an existing account.
DarkMarket tells you things you will have difficulty believing. This extraordinarily powerful book explores the shadowy world of modern crime, how it knows no borders and how impossible it is to combat. DarkMarket...is essential reading for anyone who wants to understand the world we live in -
In DarkMarket, Misha Glenny does a superlative job of putting faces to the criminals and cops... This is a game of cat and mouse, subterfuge and sting, a protracted battle between cyberthieves and cybercops, and Glenny masterfully weaves the tale together - Irish Times
Be scared. Be very scared... Glenny's journey through the undergrowth of cybercrime is a dark read... Glenny presents a host of extraordinary characters as he tells the story of the past 20 years of online crime... This is a gripping tale, brilliantly researched - Sunday Times
Glenny is skilful at taking a world that might seem impenetrable and esoteric and making it human... Very readable... Glenny has had impressive access to the shadiest sides of the internet... The story Glenny tells is fascinating - Sunday Telegraph
Misha Glenny...tackles the rise and fall of DarkMarket and its key players with gusto... Glenny knows how to make this baffling world of DDos attacks, botnets and bulletproof hosting into compulsive, thriller-paced reading - Metro
America and its Western allies are spending billions to perfect future cyber war capability, but Misha Glenny tells us that cyber crime is right here and has been for years - hiding in plain sight. Glenny's account of the international police hunt for a hacker known as Cha0, one of the most successful cyber criminals of our time, should be required reading for the world's cyber war generals -
Nobody writes more compellingly about contemporary international crime than the author of McMafia. Misha Glenny combines a terrific pace with the best journalistic practice and stylish writing... Illuminating and terrifying - Globe and Mail
His approach...is to zero in on a set of characters whose lives and work he describes in great detail... Since he has had to teach himself their codes, protocols and affectations, he is good at teaching us and does so without condescension - Financial Times
Given the Olympian research that Misha Glenny has done, this book could have been a turgid jargon fest of Trojans, worms and viruses. But, wisely, Glenny has opted to turn his material into a sleek narrative by making it a real life crime thriller...because they are real, they captivate you in a way that even the most vivid fictional creations cannot - Mail on Sunday
A riveting and comprehensive account of DarkMarket’s rise and fall… Covers more physical territory than a Bourne movie - Guardian
Glenny is a very skilled journalist, who blends lively reportage with an acute analysis of the issues involved - Financial Times
Misha Glenny is a distinguished journalist and historian. As the Central Europe Correspondent first for the Guardian and then for the BBC, he chronicled the collapse of communism and the wars in the former Yugoslavia. He won the Sony Gold Award for outstanding contribution to broadcasting. The author of four books, including the acclaimed McMafia, he has been regularly consulted by the US and European governments on major policy issues and ran an NGO for three years, assisting with the reconstruction of Serbia, Macedonia and Kosovo. He now lives in London.